Meatloaf isn't the most glamorous food in the world, but it's invaluable as a picnic item, partly because it's easy to make and freezes well. It also travels well and tastes great. Definitely substance over style.
I have fond memories of eating meatloaf as a child. We seemed to have a lot of picnics and there was always a meatloaf wrapped in foil in the hamper. I don't know if we ever ate the meatloaf in the house. For me, it's always associated with a picnic rug and eating in a field.
Key Ingredients in Meatloaf
Mixed minced meat
I use a mixture of sausagemeat and minced beef to give a moist, firm texture. Always check the ingredients on sausagemeat to make sure it isn't full of fillers.
If you can't find sausagemeat, use sausages and take them out of their skins.
I use wholemeal breadcrumbs, but whatever bread you have is fine. make the crumbs in a processor or blender - or even in a smoothie maker
For flavour, I add onion, pepper and seasoning.
Secrets of Success
The secret is in the quality of the ingredients - good meat equals a good meatloaf.
The method is my favourite - bung it in and mix it up. Then shape it roughly and cook in a loaf tin. You really can't go wrong.
Hope for good weather and pack your picnic hamper.
If you like this...
...Why don't you try:
- 75 g bread - any kind
- 2 medium onions
- 1 bell pepper, green or red
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 225 g sausagemeat see note
- 450 g minced beef
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree, rounded tablespoon (30ml)
- 1 teaspoon Worcester Sauce (5ml)
- 2 teaspoons dried mixed herbs (10ml)
- ½ teaspoon salt (2.5ml)
- Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 170°C fan/ gas mark 5/ 375°F
- Peel and quarter the onions
- Quarter the pepper, discarding the pith and seeds
- Peel the garlic
For the meatloaf:
- Make the bread into breadcrumbs by blitzing for 20-30 seconds in a food processor or use a grater
- Add the onions, pepper, and garlic and process for a few seconds until finely chopped
- Add the rest of the ingredients and process for about a minute to thoroughly combine everything
- Sausagemeat, minced beef, eggs, tomato puree, Worcester Sauce, herbs, salt, pepper
- If your processor can't take the load, process in 2 batches
- Press the mixture into the loaf tin and cook for 1-1 ¼ hours
- The meatloaf is done when it shrinks from the sides of the tin
- Allow to cool in the tin
- Wrap in foil and store in the fridge or freezer