The Best Potato Salad contains lots of salad vegetables to make a complete accompaniment for barbecued or grilled food.
Best Potato Salad
I like potato salad, but sometimes it can be a bit too potato-y. This version - my Best Potato Salad - has chopped peppers and cucumber in to lighten the starchy load, and a creamy mint dressing. It goes very well with all grilled meats or Baked Lemon Salmon. A few tomatoes and you're good to go.
Once more this is a good dish to cook on holiday. You can cook the potatoes the day before and make up the salad when you want it. The ingredients are easily available, but if you can't get crème fraîche, you could use soured cream or yogurt (especially Greek yogurt). If you're making it at home, you can make the mayonnaise or buy your favourite brand.
Sometimes when there are only two of us I make a batch this size to eat for 3-4 days. So easy, and I don't want to be left with half a bag of potatoes if they aren't sold loose.
Not much more to say really, except minimise the cooking and enjoy the sunshine!
- 5 bladed herb cutting scissors – Useful for cutting the mint and chives. Most importantly, they don’t cut your fingers
If you like this...
...Why don't you try:
Best Potato Salad
- 750 g salad potatoes
- 10 cm chunk cucumber
- 1 medium yellow pepper
- 6 spring onions
- 125 ml mayonnaise
- 125 ml crème fraîche
- Handful of chives
- Handful of mint
- Salt and pepper
- Steam the potatoes for 20 minutes or until tender, but not overcooked
- Leave to cool in a colander for at least 1 hour
For the Best Potato Salad:
- Cut the potatoes into 2-3cm pieces. No need to skin them unless you want to
- Wash the pepper and cut out the core and pith. Chop the fleshPieces will be ½ - 1 cm
- Remove the seeds from the cucumber and cut into similar size chunks
- Peel the spring onions and slice thinly
- Mix the crème fraîche and mayonnaise thoroughly. Add all the vegetables and stir to combine
- Chop the chives and mint and mix into the potato salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste