Pan-fried Lemon and Garlic Salmon with Asparagus is exactly what it says it is, those four ingredients plus butter and seasoning. Quick and easy to make for a light supper that feels really special.
This page may have some affiliate links. For more information see the Disclosure Page.
When you want a meal for a special supper for two that’s quick and easy to make, salmon is the go-to fish. It cooks in minutes and if you buy fillets, they hardly need any preparation. Asparagus always feels like a luxury vegetable to add to the occasion.
How long does the salmon take to cook?
The answer depends on two things:
- The thickness of the salmon – The thicker it is, the longer it will take. The thinner tail-end pieces will cook more quickly, and may not fit into your frying pan. Thicker fillets are better for this recipe
- The temperature of the salmon – If your salmon is at room temperature it will cook 3-4 minutes faster than salmon straight from a cold fridge.
When is the salmon done?
When you look at the side of the salmon in the pan you can see by the colour if part of it isn’t cooked. If you think the asparagus has had enough, take it out for a couple of minutes while you cook the salmon a little longer.
What do you eat with Pan-fried Lemon and Garlic Salmon with Asparagus
If you are particularly hungry, you could fry some potatoes – or cook a jacket potato – to eat with the salmon and asparagus. You could steam some vegetables, mange tout or baby carrots perhaps. I often cook salmon for a special occasion and make a pudding, so then a light main dish is just what you want!
- Helix Garlic Press – Often, you can just chop garlic, but when it needs to be very fine, as in this recipe where it’s only cooked for a couple of minutes, it’s easier to use a garlic press. I’ve just updated mine as it was a bit fiddly to use (and 30 years old, so I felt justified). A helix press means you don’t need as much force to get more out of the garlic – also good if your grip isn’t as strong as you’d like.
If you like this…
…Why don’t you try:Print
Pan-fried Lemon & Garlic Salmon with Asparagus is a quick and easy supper dish.
You will need:
- A large (preferably heavy-based) frying pan
- 120g fine asparagus
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 10g butter
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) olive oil
- 2 salmon fillets (100-125g each)
- Rinse the asparagus under the cold tap and pat dry with kitchen paper
- Trim the ends off the asparagus
- Juice the lemon
- Mince, or very finely chop, the garlic
To cook the Lemon & Garlic Salmon:
- Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan on a MEDIUM heat
- When hot, add the salmon fillets and asparagus
- Cook for 4-5 minutes
- Turn the salmon and the asparagus
- Cook for a further 3-4 minutes
- Add the garlic and lemon juice
- Cook for 2 minutes
- Season to taste and serve
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Quick, easy, salmon, hob