Zingy Ginger Lime Chicken takes 10 minutes to prepare the night before and half an hour to cook – the perfect weekday supper dish.
We all need recipes like Ginger Lime Chicken, that can be prepared the night before and cooked quickly whatever time you get home. Just turn the chicken and marinade out into a roasting dish and put it in the oven – no need to pre-heat.
How to reduce the prep time
This recipe only takes about 10 minutes to prepare, but there are a couple of things you can do to reduce the prep time (and wastage):
- Use garlic puree or ginger out of a jar or tube. Gia Garlic Puree in a tube keeps well, and a jar of Bart’s Ginger Paste in the fridge is an easy way to get the ginger
- If you have more time, buy a large piece of fresh ginger and blitz it in a spice mill or small food processor, then freeze a teaspoon at a time in an ice-cube tray. You can do the same thing with garlic. That way you use it all up and save time next time you cook. See 5 Shortcuts for Cooking from Scratch for more details.
If you want to be really efficient you could make up double quantities of Ginger Lime Chicken and freeze one set in the marinade, then get it out of the freezer the night before and cook on as usual.
If you want vegetables, either prepare them the day before and pop into the steamer, or try something like Waitrose Cauliflower & Kale Couscous, which you just put in the microwave for a few minutes.
By the time you’ve got changed and made a cup of tea or poured yourself a glass of something restorative, supper will be ready.
- Citrus Press – I’ve had a number of juicers over the years and this one’s quite different. I wasn’t sure that it would get all the juice out but it seems to, and doesn’t require much effort. If your grip isn’t good, this really helps.
If you like this…
…Why don’t you try:
Ginger Lime Chicken
- 1 lime
- 2 cm fresh root ginger, to give 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Tamari soya sauce (15 ml)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (30 ml)
- 4 chicken breast portions, approx 500g
- Salt and pepper
To marinate the Ginger Lime Chicken:
- Zest the lime with a fine grater. Juice the lime and put both into a shallow dish with a lid
- Finely chop or grate the ginger
- Peel and finely chop or mince/crush the garlic
- Add the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and oil to the lime and stir well
- Add the chicken and gently mix with the marinade, turning to ensure the chicken’s completely covered
- Cover the dish and leave in the fridge for 4-24 hours
To cook the Ginger Lime Chicken:
- Set the oven to 190°C/ 170°C fan/ gas mark 5/ 375°F (no need to pre-heat)
- Put the chicken in a baking tin and pour the marinade over. Season with salt and pepper
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning onceThe chicken is done when the juices run clear when it's pierced with a sharp knife
- Skim off the fat and serve the juices separately
Everyday Cooks Tips:Ingredients:
- For ease and speed, use garlic puree or ginger paste. Gia Garlic Puree in a tube keeps well, and a jar of Bart’s Ginger Paste in the fridge is an easy way to get the ginger
- OR Buy a large piece of fresh ginger and blitz it in a spice mill or small food processor, and freeze in an ice-cube tray. You can do the same thing with garlic. See 5 Shortcuts for Cooking from Scratch for more details.
- Tamari is gluten-free. Use any soy sauce if GF isn’t needed.