Grilled Gyros chicken has always been a favourite with my family. It takes only a few minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook, so it’s a great standby dish when you’ve got chicken breasts in the fridge and don’t want to spend ages cooking. It’s a warming, spicy dish without being too hot and I always love eating it (especially with mayonnaise).
We eat chicken breast at least once a week – more often when I’m busy – and there are times when we have this Gyros chicken every week. I like it with salad and a big dollop of mayonnaise – largely because I cook this when I don’t want to spend much time in the kitchen. I can prepare the salad while the chicken cooks and be done with the whole process.
I was first introduced to Gyros spice by an American friend who would bring it over for me in large pots. Unfortunately, she relocated back to the US and eventually I was left without any spice. I don’t know the origins of Gyros spice and there are lots of different versions out there, but this is the one that I like. It isn’t too hot but it’s very tasty. You can find the recipe on my Top 5 Herb and Spice Mix post or you can buy it ready-made – although it won’t be exactly the same. I’ve fiddled about with it over the years, taking out spices I don’t like (garlic powder, for example) and adjusting the quantities, so if there is an authentic recipe, then this isn’t it.
If you’re making Gyros spice for children who don’t like spicy food you could omit the chilli in the spice recipe altogether. As long as you use sweet paprika, and not the hot stuff, it’s full of flavour rather than heat. I make a large quantity of the Gyros spice mix and keep it for months.
- Heat the grill to a medium heat (I use 150°)
- Line your grill pan with foil
- Mix the oil and Gyros spice in a dish or plate large enough for all your chicken. Add the chicken and thoroughly coat with the spice mix on both sides
- Put the chicken in the grill pan (no wire rack) and cook under the grill for 9-10 minutes (12-14 if the breast are very thick)
- Turn the chicken and coat with any remaining spice mix
- Cook for another 8-12 minutes, according to thickness
- Serve immediately with salad or vegetables.
- Make your own Gyros Spice Mix to give the level of heat that you like and to make sure you always have it in the cupboard
- For a speedier dish on the day, prepare the night before and leave in the fridge ready to cook.