Smoked Mackerel Pâté is a quick and easy recipe for a starter at dinner. It's also great for teatime or lunch with some salad and brown bread or toast.
Smoked Mackerel Pâté is the simplest thing to make - blitz all the ingredients and chill for an hour. Then you get loads of healthy Omega 3 every time you take a bite!
I tend to use lime juice for this recipe because I keep a squeezy bottle of it in the fridge. I always have lemons in the house so if I need lemon juice, I'll squeeze it myself, but limes are too unrewarding. Although for a single tablespoonful, like in this pâté, I can't really be bothered, so I turn to the bottle.
You could add some horseradish if you want a slightly hotter mixture, and I do sometimes put ground pepper in - it depends on the smoked mackerel. If it's already got pepper on, don't bother to add more. Similarly, this is one dish that you don't want to add salt to. The fish has plenty of its own!
I shall be sitting in the garden this summer eating Smoked Mackerel Pâté with wholemeal toast (courtesy of the breadmaker) and tomatoes for lunch quite a lot this year, now that I've reminded myself of its simplicity. And what could be nicer?
Smoked Mackerel Pâté
- 300 g smoked mackerel
- 200 ml crème fraîche
- 25 g melted butter
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice (15ml)
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard (2.5ml)
- Fresh parsley or dill to garnish
- Remove the skin and any stray bones from the smoked mackerelUse tweezers if you can't grab the bones with your fingers
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blitz for about a minute until you have a smooth pâté OR Flake the mackerel with two forks until it is in small pieces and mix with the other ingredients. You won't have a smooth pâté, but it will still taste lovely
- Spoon the pâté into a small dish and smooth the top
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least an hour
- Decorate with fresh herbs to serve with brown bread or toast.
Everyday Cooks tip:
- Use bottled lime juice rather than squeezing the fruit for only 15ml juice.