Use leftover roast chicken for a quick and easy Thai Chicken Curry.
This page may have some affiliate links. For more information see the Disclosure Page.
Use up leftover roast chicken
Easy Thai Chicken Curry is another recipe for using up leftover cooked chicken (or turkey).
For me, this serves two useful purposes:
- First, the leftovers are gone and a meal has been made from them
- Second, the leftovers meal is quick to cook as the chicken only needs thoroughly heating. On a week-night that’s a real advantage!
Red Thai curry paste and creamed coconut
This recipe also uses up the creamed coconut left from Easy Thai Prawn Curry as well as more of the curry paste that I used. The curry paste lasts for 3 months in the fridge and will make 4 meals for 4 people so you should use it all up in that time.
What to eat with Thai Chicken Curry?
Make it easy with rice (cook a large batch and freeze for convenience) and steamed vegetables – I like sugar snap peas and frozen green beans.
I’ll also make one or two Indian Condiments to accompany my curry. I know it’s not authentic, but we’re going for an everyday, tasty supper here.
- Helix Garlic Press – Often, I just chop garlic, but when you want it to be very fine it’s easier to use a garlic press. I’ve just updated mine as it’s a bit fiddly to use (and 30 years old, so I felt justified). A helix press means you don’t need as much force to get more out of the garlic – also good if your grip isn’t as strong as you’d like.
If you like this…
…Why don’t you try:Print
Easy Thai Chicken Curry uses leftover roast chicken and is ready in about 35 minutes
You will need:
- Large saucepan
- 400g cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) oil
- 1 medium (170g) onion
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) grated fresh root ginger (or from a jar)
- 1 clove garlic or 1 teaspoon (5ml) garlic puree
- 2 tablespoons (30ml/50g) Thai red curry paste (I used Thai Taste)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 100g creamed coconut
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces
- Peel and chop the onions
- Peel and grate the ginger
- To peel use the tip of a teaspoon
- Peel and finely chop, or crush, the garlic
- Chop the creamed coconut.
To cook Easy Thai Chicken Curry:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on MEDIUM-HIGH heat
- Put the onion and ginger in the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until softened
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute
- Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1 minute
- Pour the chopped tomatoes and chopped coconut cream into the saucepan
- Turn the heat to HIGH to bring to the boil and melt the coconut cream
- Tip in the chicken. Add water if the sauce is too thick, a tablespoon at a time
- Turn the heat to HIGH to bring to the boil, then turn to LOW and simmer for 15 minutes so that the chicken is thoroughly heated
- Check the seasoning and add salt if needed
- Serve with rice.
- The curry paste should keep for up to 3 months in the fridge, once opened and re-sealed
- The creamed coconut will also keep for up to 3 months in the fridge
- Category: Supper
- Method: Hob
- Cuisine: Thai