A quick and easy way to cook red cabbage. Prepare everything the night before, chuck it in the slow cooker and put it on in the morning.
Slow Cooker Red Cabbage
This page may have some affiliate links. For more information see the Disclosure Page.
I love red cabbage with turkey, but it can seem a dish too far with all the other vegetables and accompaniments necessary for Christmas lunch.
Prepare the night before
This recipe, though, can be prepared (all 10 minutes of it) the night before and then put in the slow cooker/crockpot four hours (or more) before you want to eat lunch.
What’s in Slow Cooker Red Cabbage?
You can use your favourite red cabbage recipe – just remember you need four hours on HIGH or 6-8 hours on LOW for it to cook. Otherwise, the basics are:
- Red Cabbage – Coarsely shredded, about 1/2 cm shreds
- Onions – They definitely add some flavour without being too strong
- Apple – I don’t always, but if you want a more sweet and sour flavour, coarsely grate an apple in
- Vinegar – I prefer white wine vinegar, although if I had red wine vinegar I would use that
- Sugar/honey etc. – Whatever you have, dark brown sugar for preference
- Spices – I only use nutmeg, but if you like more spice, add cinnamon and/or cloves (or mixed spice)
- Other flavours – I like orange zest, and definitely some salt
Help! I don’t know which slow cooker to buy
If you’re bewildered by all the options take a look at my buying guide: 5 tips for Buying a Slow Cooker.
What else do you need to make Slow Cooker Red Cabbage?
- Digital Slow Cooker – With a non-stick cooking dish that’s easy to clean.
If you like this…
…Why don’t you try:
- Slow Cooker Gammon – for an easy ‘boiled gammon’ recipe
- Slow Cooker Mulled Wine – especially good for festive entertaining
A quick and easy way to cook red cabbage.
You will need:
- A slow cooker/ crockpot
- 1 red cabbage
- 2 onions
- Zest of an orange
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) brown soft sugar
- 175ml vinegar
- Salt to taste
- Coarsely shred the cabbage – about 1/2cm slices
- Thickly slice and then chop the onions
- Zest the orange
- Put all the ingredients in the slow cooker on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 8 hours
- Red cabbage, onions, sugar, vinegar, orange zest, salt
Red Cabbage can be kept warm for at least two hours before serving.
- Category: Accompaniment
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: British