Homemade Marzipan is all natural and tastes great - ready to use in 10 minutes.
Servings: 1 20 cm round cake cover
- 400 g ground almonds
- 200 g caster sugar
- 200 g icing sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (10ml)
- 2 teaspoons sherry, or extra lemon juice (10ml)
- 2 teaspoons orange flower water, or extra lemon juice (10ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5ml )
- 4 drops almond extract
Prepare the dry ingredients:
EITHER: In a processor, pulse the dry ingredients until fine.
(Caster sugar, icing sugar, ground almonds)
Don’t overdo it!
OR: Sieve the sugars into a large bowl to get rid of any lumps (normally I wouldn’t bother, but I do for marzipan)
Make the Marzipan:
In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg and flavourings with a fork
(lemon juice, vanilla extract, orange flower water, sherry and almond essence)
Add the liquids to the dry ingredients and blitz or mix well until the mixture comes together
Press together with your hands to make a smooth paste
The marzipan will probably feel a bit sticky, but don’t be tempted to add more sugar or ground almonds
- 800g marzipan is sufficient to cover the top and sides of a 20cm (8-inch) round cake
- See How to Marzipan a Cake for step-by-step instructions to achieve a smooth, even finish