Strawberry Gin is a pretty, pink gin with a fresh fruity flavour.
Servings: 55 cl
- 150 g strawberries
- ½ litre 50cl London Dry gin (see note)
- 50 g caster sugar
To make the Strawberry Gin:
Cut the strawberries into halves - quarters for larger onesThis helps the flavour permeate the gin Put the sugar and gin into the Kilner jar, close the lid and give it a good shakeThe sugar won't be totally dissolved, but it's a good start
Add the strawberries to the Kilner jar and shake again
If the sugar hasn't dissolved, either shake the gin every day until it has dissolved OR keep it out for the first day and shake every hour or so
Leave in a dark place for 2-4 weeksIf the weather is very warm, reduce the timings to 10-15 days
Use a sieve over a large jug to remove the fruit, using a funnel pour into a bottle or bottles for storing.
Everyday Cooks tips:
- Strawberry Gin will keep for up to a year. After that, the colour begins to change, but it still tastes good!
- You don’t need to use expensive gin – a supermarket brand of London Dry gin is fine (I use Waitrose London Dry Gin)
- 1 litre of gin will need 100g sugar and 300g strawberries
- A bottle of gin (70cl) needs 75g sugar and 225g strawberries