Orange Simnel Cake
Orange Simnel Cake is a plain orange cake with marzipan filling and topping in the tradition of a Simnel Cake. Great for Mothering Sunday or Easter.
Servings: 12 slices
For a 17 or 18 cm (7-inch) round cake:
- 200 g butter, at room temperature
- 175 g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 75 g ground almonds
- ½ large orange, zested and juiced (30ml)
- 1 teaspoon orange extract (5ml)
- 1 kg marzipan. bought or homemade
Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan/ gas mark 4/ 350°F
Line the base of the tin with a baking parchment circle. Grease the tin (if it needs it) with butter paper (or a little butter on kitchen paper)
Take ⅖ of the marzipan and roll it into a ball in your hands then flatten onto a prepared surfaceIf you use a silicone baking mat, then you don't need any extra icing sugar
Shape into a circle about the size of the tin, using your hands. Using a baking parchment circle as a template, roll the marzipan to fit. Cut off any excess
Using a baking parchment circle as a template, roll the marzipan to fit. Cut off any excess
Put the rest of the marzipan in the fridge to keep firm.
For the Orange Simnel Cake:
For the topping:
Using another ⅖ of the marzipan, make a second disc - as before, but cutting the edge more carefully
Divide the remaining marzipan into 11 and fashion each piece into a ball
Place the marzipan disc on top of the cake and crimp with your fingers if desired (or if the edges are ragged). Using a sharp knife, cut a diamond pattern into the marzipan
Position each ball around the edge of the cake
If you want a browned top, lightly brush beaten egg over the marzipan and put under a medium grill for a few minutes.
- If your cake has dipped or peaked in the middle when it's cooked, put a piece of baking parchment or a clean tea towel on a cooling rack and turn the cake upside down as it cools in the tin. When you turn it out of the tin keep it upside down, and by the time it's cooled the top will usually be flat.
- If your cake top is below the surface of the tin, run a palette knife round the sides to loosen first so that the cake drops
- Storage: Orange Simnel Cake keeps for at least a week in an airtight container in a cool place