Slow Cooker Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce – chicken breasts in a creamy grain mustard and cream sauce. 15 minutes to prepare, then leave to cook for 4 hours.
We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links. For more information see the Disclosure Page.
There isn’t loads of sauce in this recipe, because you want the chicken to cook in a dry-ish heat – it isn’t a casserole. What you get are pieces of chicken that are tender and tasty with a coating of mustard cream sauce.
This is a 2-step crockpot/slow cooker recipe, i.e. you brown the chicken first, rather than just chucking all the ingredients in. It’s also quicker to cook – this is a half-day recipe, not an all-day one, so it’s good for evenings where you want to get the dinner going in the afternoon and come back to just finish it off.
What to serve with Slow Cooker Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce
You could have rice or cauliflower rice, and if you prepare rice ahead and freeze it (see 5 shortcuts for cooking from scratch), all you need to do is defrost in the fridge overnight and pour a few kettles of boiling water over to make sure it’s really heated through.
Buttered tagliatelli is good with this dish too, and I like to have a green vegetable like tender-stem broccoli or mange tout (or even peas). The alternative, if you don’t want to cook, is salad, which we often have on lazy days.
Why fry the chicken first?
Frying the chicken seals in the juices and gives a nice golden colour. A slow cooked with a metal pot will often give some colour to the meat anyway, so it isn’t quite as important for the appearance as with a ceramic pot.
You could fry it directly in the metal pot, but chicken needs a high hob temperature, which could buckle the slow cooker pot, so I prefer a heavy-based frying pan.
Slow Cooker or not?
Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce is a recipe that I sometimes cook in a frying pan, but the beauty of the slow cooker is that you don’t have to do the preparation right before you cook. This way you can choose the method that suits you best according to your schedule.
- Slow Cooker – If you’re bewildered by which one to buy see 5 tips for Buying a Slow Cooker.
If you like this…
…Why don’t you try:
- Pan-fried Chicken in Mustard and Cream Sauce
- Chicken Parcels
- Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken Casserole
- Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
Slow Cooker Chicken in Mustard Cream Sauce. 2-step crockpot recipe.
- 600–700g skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 25g butter
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) wholegrain mustard
- 50ml double cream
- Cut the chicken into 50g pieces (approximately)
- Season with salt and pepper
- In a frying pan, melt the butter and oil on a MEDIUM-HIGH heat
- Add the chicken and fry until just turning golden (about 10 minutes)
- Move the chicken pieces to the slow cooker
- Turn the heat down and add the lemon or lime juice to the pan so that any stuck-on bits dissolve (deglazing)
- Add the mustard and stir
- Spoon the sauce over the chicken and stir gently to make sure it’s all coated
- Put the lid on and cook on HIGH for 4 hours
- 10 minutes before the end, add the cream and stir in
- Serve with rice or buttered tagliatelli and a green vegetable.
Everyday Cooks Tips:
- You can fry the chicken in your slow cooker if it has a metal pot, but a frying pan with a heavy base may be preferable to stop your pot getting distorted with the relatively high heat
- There isn’t much sauce with this dish, as it isn’t a casserole. If you want a bit more add 50ml stock to the juice and mustard.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Crockpot, chicken dinner